Sunday, January 27, 2013

Egg retrieval

Egg retrieval was yesterday! I had a ton of anxiety going into this whole part of the process. I'm one of those people that looks everything up online. Yep, one of those! Which means more then likely I seem to find all the horror stories of egg retrials. I will say, from what I had read, my retrieval and recovery so far has been pretty easy.

We got to the clinic at 8:30am, had my vitals done and was taken back to the operating room. We met the anesthesiologist, he explained what he was going to do, got my IV's started and hooked up to monitors. Next thing I knew Dr.Lee had come in, I was signing one last consent form and my drugs were starting to be pushed on in. Luckily, my husband was allowed to stay in there during the procedure which made it a bit more comforting. About 30 seconds after the meds were being pushed, I was out and don't remember anything until they were practically done. Erik said the right ovary was a breeze and I made no flinches at all. At some point I was up and asked if they had started yet and then I was passed out again, I don't remember that. Erik also said that I was having a conversation with Dr.Lee about the tree farm and all that..lol! It's so weird that I don't remember any of this! I do remember before I went under that Dr.Lee and I were talking about the farm, he was telling me some of his best life memories were out here at the farm. So funny! Anyways, Erik said that once they got to the left side I started flinching a bit and making some painful facial expressions. I do know that I woke up towards the end of that last egg that was being a trouble maker to get and felt some decent pain but after that, it was over.

Dr.Lee successfully retrieved 10 eggs which is more then I was expecting! Although I do know the doc, I am glad he was the one that did my retrieval. He definitely calmed my nerves and made me feel better and really is just an all around great guy! Once I was done they gave me a little bit to recover and next thing I knew they were standing me up and helping me get dressed, after that into
the wheel chair I went and off we were.

Once we were back to my parents, I feel like I slept most of the day. My inlaws came over for a nice visit and after that I was out for the rest of the afternoon again. I had some pretty good pain, but nothing bad enough to take the pain pills they gave me. I hate taking those things and always just try to manage through my pain. I worked pretty well. I took a few Advil later in the afternoon and used a heating pad. Other then that, it's been pretty good. I'm still laying low on the couch through today and can feel some sharp pains here and there but nothing compared to yesterday.

This morning I got a call from the embryologist! Super nice woman! She let me know that they did retrieve 10 eggs, but a few of them were not mature when harvested. By the time they did ICSI last night, they ones that were not mature, had matured. And, ALL 10 eggs fertilized giving us a 100% fertilization!!!! Ohh that totally got the excitement flowing for me! Now we just have hope them little babies keep growing and get themselves ready for transfer which will take place on Tuesday, Thursday or Friday, depending on how the embryos grow. Soo excited!

Poor Miss Holly has been up sick all morning with the flu after Kaden(nephew) woke up with it yesterday. Hopefully she's feeling better ASAP. Don't want her sick during transfer.

Here's to hoping everything continues to go well!


Here's a funny picture, that I totally don't remember taking. Me and Dr.Lee as I was being wheeled out of the office after the extraction.










4 comments:

  1. You are just too cute! I love that picture! 10 eggs is amazing and now having all 10 fertilized is even more amazing news! You should have so many to work with! I can't wait to hear about yours and holly's transfer coming up this week. And I hope Holly and Kaden are feel better soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, thanks. I'm looking a little rough but apparently I was super excited! I still can't believe all 10 fertilized. Hopefully the rest of this week goes as well as the last week has.

      Delete
  2. So excited for this update! Can't wait to hear how the embies are doing soon! Such a relief to hear that it went well. I am a fellow google obsesser and have myself a little freaked out, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, trust me. It's def not as bad as some people make it out to be, thank goodness. I was so nervous that went the doc came and saw my heart rate he asked if I was nervous. I said Yessssssss and he's like well that explains the wild heart beart! Lol..whoops! Ahhh well!

      Delete